At least five persons on Thursday were hospitalised following a fire outbreak at the Lagos campus of the Nigerian Law School, located at Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, Victoria Island.

The fire reportedly started around 10 pm on Wednesday on the first floor of a five-storey hostel building.

The hostel is said to be housing 1,500 law graduates on the campus.

There was apprehension and commotion as students were said to have run in different directions for safety.

“The fire came with a big b**g. There was a stampede in the hostel. I saw a student jump out from the first floor where the fire started near the reading room. Other students ran out of their rooms in panic.

“At least, five people were seriously injured while one elderly woman who is a cleaner had her toe dislocated,” Segun told Vanguard.

However, the fire was put out by hostel security officials who switched off the main power supply immediately before the arrival of the state fire service some minutes later.

The unidentified students are currently receiving treatment at the clinic.