A top police general faces suspension and internal disciplinary action because his alleged negligence and dereliction of duty led to the m****r of Cape Town’s top police officer Lieutenant-Colonel Charl Kinnear.

A month-long investigation by The African Mirror revealed that Lieutenant General Peter Jacobs, the head of the National Crime Security Service, had received information from the Hawks’ top leadership about the imminent danger to Kinnear, the head of the SAPS anti-gang unit, and had failed on several occasions to prevent the planned assassination of Kinnear or to ensure his safety.

This is despite the fact that the SAPS counter-intelligence mandate gives Jacobs responsibility for protecting the lives of members of the force.

Kinnear was shot dead in front of his home in Bishop Lavis, Cape Town, on September 18. This week, his wife Nicolette filed a petition in Parliament demanding answers regarding the circumstances of her husband’s death.

One suspect, Zane Kilian, was charged with the m****r of Kinnear and appeared in court. His bail request was postponed until Tuesday after the lead prosecutor isolated himself. Other charges include conspiracy to commit m****r, illegal interference in communications and fraud.

Kilian has also been linked to the assassination attempt on the prominent City Attorney William Booth earlier this year.

An investigation has revealed this:

  • The Hawks informed Jacobs of the threat to Kinnear’s life as soon as they were aware of it.
  • Jacobs failed to take urgent action and failed to operationalize information that could have saved Kinnear’s life.

Two days before Kinnear’s assassination, Jacobs received information that his phone was being illegally monitored along with that of two other police officers, but Jacobs said he was too ill to devote resources to protecting Kinnear and decided to put the matter on hold for a week.

Jacobs was questioned by internal SAPS investigators about the circumstances leading up to Kinnear’s m****r and refused to give an affidavit.

During the interview, Jacobs said that the death threats against Kinnear were related to “matters” that had been raised with the top SAPS leadership. He blamed the lack of response to the “matters” he had raised for Kinnear’s death.

Several officials have made affidavits accusing Jacobs of inaction.

The investigation revealed that the death threats against Kinnear dated back to November last year. At that time there was information about a threat to the lives of Kinnear, Major General Jeremy Vearey and Major General Andre Lincoln.

Shortly after the threat was discovered and dealt with by the SAPS leadership, an attempted grenade attack on Kinnear’s home occurred. At that time, Lieutenant General Sindile Mfazi ordered a reinforcement of the protection of the officers whose lives were threatened. A security assessment was also ordered.

A list of questions was sent to Brigadier Vish Naidoo, a spokesman for National Police Commissioner Khehla Sitole.

Naidoo said that the alleged suspension of Jacobs, if it came to that, was an internal matter that could not be discussed publicly.

He referred questions about the circumstances leading to Kinnear’s m****r to the Hawks.

The Hawks’ spokesman, Colonel Katlego Mogale, said she was still waiting for information. She had not responded at the time of publication.

Meanwhile, former 28-year-old gang leader Ernie “Lastig” Solomon was buried yesterday in Hawston in the middle of an ongoing turf war between gangs in the city. Solomon was shot and killed two weeks ago in Boksburg. Solomon had moved in May after surviving an attempt on his life.

Also, former Hard Livings leader Rashied Staggie was shot down in Salt River almost a year ago.