Home News ‘Dead’ former mayor Kabelo Gwamanda arrested over funeral policy scam
News

‘Dead’ former mayor Kabelo Gwamanda arrested over funeral policy scam

Gwamanda

Once thought to be dead by his alleged victims, a former funeral policy boss got a new life as mayor of Africa’s richest city. But Kabelo Gwamanda’s alleged scam caught up with him this week when he was reportedly arrested for alleged fraud.

According to the Sunday Times, Gwamanda handed himself over to the police on Friday morning after a warrant of arrest was reportedly issued for him in May.

An alleged scam and ‘dead’ directors

The Al Jama-ah politician sold funeral policies to Soweto residents in 2011 through his company Ithemba Lama Afrika.

Those who bought policies paid monthly premiums to the company, but when they had complaints or wanted their money could not find its offices.

One frustrated client, according to the police report, did her own investigation and was told the company’s two directors committed suicide.

“Investors were under the impression that both directors had died, only to see one suspect appearing on TV as the mayor of Johannesburg.”

Investigations into Gwamanda

She opened a case against Gwamanda and an investigation by the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) followed.

The authority last year reportedly found he had operated the business illegally and disappeared with people’s money.

The Citizen‘s search for Gwamanda’s business on a company register did not return any results.

Gwamanda’s office told News24 last year that they were unaware of any investigation or finding by the FSCA.

He told the Sunday Times his business had collapsed but he had resolved the issues with his clients.

“I had taken ownership, I had presented myself to my clients and told them, ‘This is where the business is, we have failed, so what do we do and what are your expectations from me?’ And then [the matter] was closed.”

He had earlier told the Sowetan the allegations were a “character assassination” and urged anyone with proof of the claims to open a case against him.

‘Won’t entertain gossip’

ANC regional secretary Sasabona Manganye had earlier batted away the allegations, saying the party did not want to “entertain gossip”.

“We vetted the mayor, and he met the minimum basic requirements. The vetting is the basic vetting of whether he has any criminal record, if there is any pending criminal case against him, and if he is insolvent.

“These things qualified him on whether he could be a mayor or not… That is why we are not worried,” he told News24.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Document Shows Akpoti-Uduaghan Blackmailed Her Husband Into Marrying Her Or Face N10billion Lawsuit

The embattled Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, is once again at...

Will Bushiri Be Extradited? NDPP Batohi Says It’s Not a Victory Yet

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has welcomed Malawi’s Chief Resident Magistrate Court...

Lenasia Shootout: Two ATM Bombing Suspects Killed

Two armed suspects were fatally shot, and others injured during a police...

Alleged Sexual Harassment: Constituents Blasts Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan, Calls Her Unrepentant Blackmailer

The controversy surrounding the sexual harassment allegations against Senate President Godswill Akpabio,...