Home News Israel strikes dozens more sites in southern Lebanon as thousands flee homes
News

Israel strikes dozens more sites in southern Lebanon as thousands flee homes

Lebanon

Lebanon Prime Minister, Najib Mikati, says he is heading to New York later “in light of current developments” to make further contacts.

The UN General Assembly is currently meeting in New York and Mikati had been due to attend the meeting. But on Saturday he cancelled the trip because of intensifying strikes in his country, including strikes hitting the Lebanese capital Beirut on Friday as Israel said it targeted and killed a senior Hezbollah commander.

Mikati’s New York trip means he is also cancelling the government cabinet meeting scheduled for today, a statement adds.
Dozens more rockets fired into northern Israel published at 08:59 British Summer Time 08:59 BST
As our correspondent in northern Israel reported earlier, people there have been receiving alerts warning of rocket fire. The Israeli military has just shared more details, external of what’s been happening.

It says dozens of rockets were fired into northern Israel between 09:30 and 09:45 local time.

Lebanon

First, five launches were detected and “some of them were intercepted and the rest fell in open areas,” the Israel Defense Forces says.

Then, about 50 launches were detected in the Upper Galilee area, the IDF says. Most were intercepted but there has been some damage to buildings and firefighters are working to extinguish fires, it adds.

In a statement, Hezbollah says it bombed the Qiryat Shmona settlement “with a barrage of rockets”.

Qiryat Shmona is in the Upper Galilee area in the far north of Israel.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Document Shows Akpoti-Uduaghan Blackmailed Her Husband Into Marrying Her Or Face N10billion Lawsuit

The embattled Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, is once again at...

Will Bushiri Be Extradited? NDPP Batohi Says It’s Not a Victory Yet

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has welcomed Malawi’s Chief Resident Magistrate Court...

Lenasia Shootout: Two ATM Bombing Suspects Killed

Two armed suspects were fatally shot, and others injured during a police...

Alleged Sexual Harassment: Constituents Blasts Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan, Calls Her Unrepentant Blackmailer

The controversy surrounding the sexual harassment allegations against Senate President Godswill Akpabio,...