Home News Lusikisiki massacre: Police arrest eighth and ‘final’ suspect
News

Lusikisiki massacre: Police arrest eighth and ‘final’ suspect

Lusikisiki massacre: Police arrest eighth and ‘final’ suspect

Police have arrested the eighth and “final” suspect in connection with the mass shooting in Lusikisiki, Eastern Cape, in September of last year, which left 18 family members dead.

Officers from the Provincial Serious and Violent Crimes Unit arrested the 20-year-old suspect on Sunday afternoon.

Suspects

This brings to eight the number of suspects that have been arrested in connection with the deadly shooting.

The accused—Mzukisi Ndamase, 46, Siphosoxolo Myekethe, 45, Aphiwe “AP” Ndende, 25, Lwando Antony Abi, 33, Bonga Hintsa, 31, Zenande Paya, 38, and Mawethu Nomdlembu, 36—are facing multiple charges, including murder and possession of unlicenced firearms and ammunition.

The first suspect, Makayethe, was arrested at his home in Mthimde Location, Mamfengwini Area, on 7 October.

Bus cornered

Eastern Cape police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Siphokazi Mawisa said officers tracked down and searched a bus en route to Cape Town.

“Police cornered the bus at King Williams Town Bus station that was heading to Cape Town. Upon searching the bus, they found the 20-year-old man who was the only outstanding suspect in the Lusikisiki mass shooting. He was immediately arrested and will be charged accordingly.”

Mawisa said the final suspect is due to appear at the Lusikisiki Magistrate’s Court soon.

Eastern Cape provincial police commissioner Lieutenant General Nomthetheleli Mene has welcomed the arrest of the suspect.

Mene thanked the public for sharing valuable information that led to the arrest of all mass shooting suspects.

“I have commended the team and applauded them for tirelessly ensuring that those responsible for the Lusikisiki mass shooting are facing the full might of the law.”

Lusikisiki mass shooting

In November during court proceedings, it emerged that the Lusikisiki mass shooting suspects were also linked to the murder of prominent African National Congress (ANC) member ,Mncedisi Gijana, in the OR Tambo region of the Eastern Cape.

Gijana, known as “Sncane,” was accosted and shot outside his homestead in KwaBhaca, on 19 August last year.

All the seven accused abandoned their bail applications.

The case was transferred to the Lusikisiki Regional Court, where the trial will take place between 17 and 28 February 2025.

The two shooting incidents occurred on 28 September 2024 at two neighbouring homesteads in Ngobozana Village near the town of Lusikisiki, where 18 people were killed, and five others were injured.

A two-month-old baby was one of five people who survived the attack.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Document Shows Akpoti-Uduaghan Blackmailed Her Husband Into Marrying Her Or Face N10billion Lawsuit

The embattled Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, is once again at...

Will Bushiri Be Extradited? NDPP Batohi Says It’s Not a Victory Yet

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has welcomed Malawi’s Chief Resident Magistrate Court...

Lenasia Shootout: Two ATM Bombing Suspects Killed

Two armed suspects were fatally shot, and others injured during a police...

Alleged Sexual Harassment: Constituents Blasts Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan, Calls Her Unrepentant Blackmailer

The controversy surrounding the sexual harassment allegations against Senate President Godswill Akpabio,...